Tavira offers Beautiful empty beaches with sands that seem to stretch endlessly, fields of orange trees, and hills of fig and almond trees and houses with sparkling whitewashed walls with distinctive Moorish decorative chimneys along with great open spaces. During the occupation of the Algarve by the Moors’ this town was considered of great importance due to its fishing industry.
Like most of the Algarve its buildings were all virtually destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. The town has since been rebuilt with many fine 18th Century fine buildings, a stark contrast to the very modern architectural areas such as Portimao. The area houses 37 churches, and a Roman bridge which links the two parts of the town across the River Gilâo. A large area of some 45 hectares to the east of the present position of Tavira is currently being excavated on which there is evidence of a very large Roman settlement.
Tavira’s origins date back to the late Bronze Age. In the 8th century BC it became one of the first Phoenician settlements in the Iberian West. The Phoenicians created a colonial urban center here with high walls, at least two temples, two harbors and a regular urban structure. Phoenician Tavira existed like this until the end of 6th Century BC, when it was destroyed by conflict. It is thought Tavira’s original name was Baal Saphon, named after the Phoenician Thunder and Sea god. This name later became Balsa. During the time of Caesar, the Romans created a new port, some 7 km from Tavira, named Balsa. Balsa became a large town, in fact much bigger than Tavira, that grew, prospered and decayed in parallel with the Roman Empire. When the Moors conquered Iberia, in the 8th Century, Balsa was already extinct as a town.
The Moorish occupation of Tavira between the 8th and 13th centuries left its mark on the agriculture, architecture and culture of the area. That influence can still be seen in Tavira today with its whitewashed buildings, Moorish style doors and rooftops. A castle, two mosques and palaces were built by the Moors. The impressive seven arched “Roman Bridge” is now not considered to be Roman after a recent archaeological survey, but originates from a 12th Century Moorish bridge. This was a good time economically for Tavira, which established itself an important port for sailors and fishermen. The area stayed rural until the 11th Century when Moorish Tavira (from the Arabic Tabira, “the hidden”) started to grow rapidly, becoming one of the most important towns of the Algarve, then the South-Western extreme of Gharb al-Andalus (the West of Islamic Iberian territories).
Dom Paio Peres Correia took Tavira from the Moors in anger in 1242 after seven of his principal Knights were killed during a period of truce.The population of the town was decimated during this battle. Christians were back in control of Tavira and although most Muslims left the town some remained in a Moorish quarter known as “Mouraria”.
In the 17th Century the port on its river was of considerable importance, shipping produce such as salt, dried fish and wine. Like most of the Algarve its buildings were virtually all destroyed by the earthquake of 1755. This earthquake is thought to have reached a magnitude of 9 on the Richter scale and caused extensive damage throughout the Algarve due to shockwaves and tsunamis. The earthquake is referred to as the Lisbon Earthquake due to its terrible effects on the capital city, although the epicenter was some 200 km west-southwest of Cape St. Vincent in the Algarve.
The city has since been rebuilt with many fine 18th Century buildings along with its 37 churches. A ‘Roman’ (actually Moorish) bridge links the two parts of the town across the River Gilão. The church of Santa Maria do Castelo, built on the site of a Moorish mosque holds the tombs of D Paio Peres Correia and his knights. The church dates from the 13th century and the clock tower has been remodeled from the original Muslim minaret. A bust of Dom Paio Perres Correia who died in 1275 can be seen on the corner of the town hall. Its original economic reliance on the fishing industry has now passed due to changed migration patterns of Tuna and further silting up of the river Gilao. The population is in the region of 25,000 inhabitants (municipality of Tavira) supporting a military base whilst the surrounding area is still fairly rural and undeveloped. This is now changing due to the demands of the tourist industry and opening of golf courses in the near vicinity. The beach for this town lies past the salt pans and is reached by a ferryboat that takes the visitor to the sand-bar island known as Ilha de Tavira, part of the Ria Formosa. The island and beaches can also be reached from the nearby footbridge in Santa Luzia.
In recent years the architecturally attractive town has attracted visitors and house prices have increased sharply. The development of many golf clubs close to the town has also had an effect.