Human presence in Santa Barbara de Nexe can be traced back almost 30,000 years. During the Bronze Age Santa Barbara de Nexe was a fort which was subsequently used by both the Phoenicians and the Romans.
The village is now surrounded by beautiful fields and hills covered in fruit trees.
Built in the 15th century the white walled church of Santa Barbara de Nexe is the villages best known landmark. The church underwent a number of alterations in the 18th century. It has an interior consisting of three naves, with ogival arches. The walls are decorated with polychrome tiles and above the triumphal arch there is a panel depicting the coronation of Santa Barbara by two angels (1702). For centuries, it has been known for the warmth of its people living in the hamlets spread throughout the territory and also known at international level for its musical accordion traditions and artistic stonework.